Getting to Reunion Island
Air Austral offers direct flights between Reunion Island and various cities (including Paris, Bangkok and Johannesburg), so visit its website for details.
There are direct flights between Johannesburg and Reunion Island twice to three times a week with Air Austral.
Flights depart Johannesburg every Wednesday (Friday during peak season) and Sunday at 14h10, and arrive in Reunion at 20h00. (Reunion Island is two hours ahead of South Africa.)
Flights depart Reunion every Wednesday (Friday during peak season) and Sunday at 10h35, and arrive in Johannesburg at 12h55.
Direct connections from and to major cities in South Africa are available with South African Airways and British Airways.
Return fares to Reunion Island from South Africa, with Air Austral, are listed below:
From Johannesburg - R5 400 including taxes
From Cape Town - R9 830 including taxes
From Durban - R9 250 including taxes
From Port Elizabeth - R10 678 including taxes
Basic travel tips
- South African passport holders do not require a visa
- The currency used on Reunion Island is the euro (€)
- French is the official language of Reunion Island, but communicating in English is possible
- Browse a range of accommodation options on the official tourism site
- The average annual temperature on Reunion Island is 24 degrees Celsius
- There is no malaria, and no travel vaccines are required
- Reunion Island time is two hours ahead of South Africa
- All plug points on Reunion Island are two-point – take adaptors with you